Family

Family

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lincoln's Birth

So men have their "war stories" and women have their "birth stories".  I guess for both men and women these are the times that make the biggest impression on our lives.  I think its because we are pushed to our limits, going through something extremely difficult and come out on the other side with something to show for it.  In my case, a sweet little baby.

My official due date was Friday, February 27th.  All of my other babies had been early, and as with every women who is 9 months pregnant, I was hoping this baby would be too.  I had my membranes scrapped on Friday the 20th to put me into labor.  After all that's all it took with Alaina and Charlie.  I had contractions off and on all weekend.  But nothing consistent or very hard.  Monday I saw my midwife again.  She suggested an induction.  If we had been under different circumstances I probably wouldn't have considered induction.  But such as it was we headed to the hospital Monday evening to have a baby.

I wanted to try and avoid Pitocin if I could, so they started me off with a medication put in my cervix.  It worked...as long as I didn't sit or lay down.  Come 11:00 p.m. I was exhausted.  Tony suggested I lay down and get some sleep.  So I slept as much as I could in between vital checks, sparatic contractions and super comfy hospital bed (please note my sarcasm).  By 7:00 a.m. there hadn't been any change since the night before.  4 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  So by 8:00 a.m. they started me on Pitocin.  Now the contractions were starting to be consistent and a bit stronger.  At 9:00 a.m. my midwife broke my water.  At this point Tony and I warned her that once my water goes the baby comes fast.  And so he did.  I was fully dilated, effaced, and ready to push within 30 minutes.  Lincoln was born at 9:37 a.m.

So I'd say that in reality I was in and out of labor the entire weekend, but once I was in established full blown labor it was only 2 1/2 hours.  I've managed to have all my babies without pain medication.  The hospital staff seem to think of me as some super women.  I wouldn't think of myself as one.  I honestly felt like i didn't need it and I don't feel any ill will to any women who chooses to use pain medication.

We named our baby Lincoln Anthony Foster.  Lincoln was 8 lbs and 1 oz and 20 inches long.  About the same size as Carson and Alaina.  I was thrilled to not have another Charlie size baby.  Lincoln had a bit of a low blood sugar when he was born, but it continued to rise after each nursing and by afternoon he was fine.

Lincoln is a really good baby and is a great nurser.  He rarely spits up which is a nice change.  He likes his binkie, and he loves to be cuddled.  Which is good because there are plenty of family members happy to cuddle and love on him.  We are all still adjusting to having a baby in the house again.  Last week was especially hard on Charlie and Alaina, but this week seems to be better now that we are getting into a routine again.  I'm trying to get used to being constantly sleep deprived.  Naps are hard to come by when you've got four kids and a home to take care of.  So I try to go to bed early and keep Lincoln in bed with Tony and I so I don't have to get up so much in the middle of the night.  I'm thoroughly enjoying food again and am feeling more like myself each day.

So all in all Lincoln arrival went well and we are all excited he's finally here!        

Tony and Lincoln shortly after his birth.
8 lbs 1 oz
Sweet baby feet
Warming up under the heater.
I know all my babies look alike.  That's ok though.  That way we all know who they belong to.
Charlie loves Lincoln and refers to him as "My baby".
Carson has always loved babies and has already proved to be a big help with Lincoln.
Alaina loving on the baby.  I don't think she minds so much anymore that he's a boy.
Ready to go home.
Look at that sweet baby...not at the very tired mommy.  Honestly I don't know how they expect you to get any rest at all in the hospital when the nurses (as nice as they were) are coming in every few hours to check on you and the baby.  The bed is less than desirable and the baby next door is crying all night.  Of course my baby didn't cry hardly at all.  My baby is an angel.  ;)

No comments: