Family

Family

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Christmas 2016

We stayed home again for Christmas this year.  We've discovered that as our kids get older we'd rather stay put for the Holiday Festivities.  My parents did travel to spend Christmas with us which was wonderful!  They came a day earlier than planned but also left a day earlier than planned so they could beat the snow storms.  As per the norm I was busy "making Christmas" to there aren't a whole lot of pictures to document our activities.  Christmas Eve started with our traditional breakfast for dinner.  I made cinnamon rolls and Tony cooked made to order omelets.  Then we all opened our new pajamas.  Grandpa read the story of our saviors birth then Grandma played Christmas Carols while we all sang along.  We tried to forgo our usual movie of Polar Express for Muppet Christmas Carol but apparently everyone on VidAngel had the same idea.  So we watched a Christmas Show by Vocal Point and then watched a Disney Christmas Special.  After the kids were settled Tony and I got to work playing the part of Santa.  Lincoln got some "That's Not My..." books which he loves and we read multiple times a day.  He got a ride on toy that he also loves, a Thomas the Train toy, a pillow case and Legos.  He loved all of it!  Charlie got a set of Rescue Bots Transformers, Marvel Lego Video Game, Rock-um Sock-um Robots, a Chase stuffed Animal and pillow case.  He was so excited about all of it!  Alaina got a new scooter, a Monster High video game, my grandmother's sewing machine that she was ecstatic about.  I wasn't sure how she would take to getting a vintage sewing machine.  But she is just so thrilled to have her own machine and the fact that it was her great grandmothers was even cooler!  She also got a pillow case and some cloths for her dolls.  Carson is getting to that age where Christmas is a bit more tricky.  We had the discussion about Santa this year.  I think he's known for awhile but didn't want to lead on.  When his suspicions were confirmed his first question was "Can I help then?".  Umm that would be a no.  Funny kid!  Anyway Carson got some of his own camping gear for scouts, the Avengers Lego video game, a Mortal Combat video game, the Avengers Civil War movie, a transformer, and a pillow case.  He was very excited about the video games...typical 12 year old boy response.  Tony got me a pressure canner and I got him his own Ukulele, although he didn't get it until the week after Christmas because it was back ordered.  We also got some organization racks and The Doctrine & Covenants for Families!  After presents we went to Sacrament Meeting where Alaina got to wear her new dress and the boys wore their new ties.  I was planning to get a picture but everyone was changed before I could.  My mom and I got started on the big Turkey Dinner and it all turned out delicious!  The rest of the day was playing with toys, games and eating pie.  This year in addition to the usual pumpkin and chocolate cream pies I made a pecan pie that was delicious but whereas I was the only one to eat it I probably won't be making one again.  Maybe next year I'll try my hand at Strawberry Rhubarb.  I have to admit that by the end of the day I was utterly exhausted but it was a good day for my family so it was a good day for me.     
 This year the kids and I started a new tradition.  We did advent tree that focused on our Savior.  Each day in December we'd read a passage of scripture about Christ and make ornaments for the tree.  I have to admit that there were many times that we missed days and had to play catch up and some other days where my hear just wasn't in it.  But I'm glad we did it and my kids were able to be reminded about the true meaning of Christmas.
 Alaina was pretty protective of her candy!
 Tony with his new Ukulele 
 It's been a pretty crazy winter all around.  We've had 3 snow days since Christmas Break ended and a few late starts due to snow, freezing rain, snow drifts, and frigid temperatures.  Admittedly we've spend most of our time in doors staying warm, but we did take the kids sledding last week.  This was the day before our "big" storm so we have a lot more snow than what you see in this picture.  As you can tell by Tony's face, it was cold and we didn't stay out very long.  The kids were still thrilled to go.
I keep waiting for life to settle back into a routine, but with the wacky weather we really haven't yet.  But it's also nice to be forced to take it easy for awhile.  Love to all of our family and friends.  We pray that you all had a safe and enjoyable Holiday.

No comments: