Family

Family

Monday, March 18, 2013

Sewing

I've never considered myself an major seamstress. Not like my mom, who could sew just about anything and has. Or my big sister, who sews wedding dresses and formal wear. I've always done it here or there when the urge struck me to be creative. I'd have to say that most of what I've done over the years have been a dress or two a year for Alaina, a few pairs of p.j.s for the kids, some bedding, and mending. To be honest for many years I simply didn't have the time or the place to sew. Being a working mom made it difficult to do anything besides the necessities of caring for a family. Our house in Nampa provided no real place to sew. I always ended up using the dinning table and almost no sewing project can be completed in an afternoon when you've got kids. So the sewing mess would be in the way of meal time, etc. So eventually It got to the point where it was more of a pain to get everything out then it was worth. Once we moved to Rexburg and I was no longer a working mom I found myself getting the creative bug more and more. Then once we moved into our current place, I had a place for my sewing! I could keep it out and shut the door so little fingers wouldn't mess with my current project. It's in our basement storage, which is less than ideal when it comes to warmth (especially in the winter) and light. But just having a place for my sewing is wonderful! I've been using a basic White sewing machine since I was 18 years old. Every few years it would act up, but my very handy husband would manage to get it in working order. Well, last week even he wasn't able to get it to work correctly. Don't tell him, but I was secretly hoping he wouldn't be able to fix it so I could get a new one. The timing was just right because we had recently gotten our tax returns back. Once my machine started acting up I began researching and asking around about a new machine. I came to the decision that I needed to look at and try out some machines to see what I'd like. Most of Saturday was spent going to different shops and talking to different sales people. That night I came hope with my brand new Viking Opal 650! My wonderful husband gave up seat covers for the truck until next year so I could get it. We did end up spending more than we had originally planned to get a better machine. The difference between the lower and higher end machines was astounding. Ultimately the decision was to get something for now or something for the next 20+ years. Also we wanted to get something I could grow into so to speak. So I've already got my sewing space set up (as you can see). I've started Alaina's Easter dress and Charlie's backpack. So far I'm loving my machine! The only problem is finding the time to sew. Usually it's from 8 to 10pm. After the kids go to bed and before it gets too late that our neighbors start complaining about the constant hum. I must say that I've been bitten by the creative bug hard and can't wait to share with all of you my upcoming projects.

No comments: