Family

Family

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

We are the Glue

As many of you know I recently spent time serving on a jury.  I had been selected for jury duty once before years ago when I was pregnant with Alaina.  I never got called in and it was for the month of February so I didn't even have to call in that much.  Back in March Tony got jury duty, but he differed because he was in school full time and working.  So come September Tony and I both got called up for jury duty for the month of October.  I found it slightly amusing that we both got jury duty at the same time.  Then the last week of September Tony and I both got letters in the mail.  We both had been selected to come in for jury selection.  Again I found this slightly amusing.  This was not only jury duty selection, it was for district court which is in Pocatello, about an hours drive from Rexburg.  Of course Tony was totally stressed out about the prospect of going.  He would have to miss a day of work and classes, which meant catching up on projects at work and homework.  For me I thought "Hey, some time with my husband without the kids and on the governments dime!  Sure, I'll go!"  Tony's cousin volunteered to take the kids Monday night and Tuesday so we could travel to Pocatello the night before.  Again an evening with my husband without the kids on the governments dime...I'll take that!  Tuesday morning came, we reported to the court house and became the talk of the place.  The judge himself said that in 50 years he's never seen a husband and wife be called up at the same time.  Throughout the entire selection I really didn't think the court would choose us, but lucky us I got selected.  First thought that came to mind was, "Cool a few days off from my responsibilities at home."  Second thought that came to mind was, "Crap, what are we going to do about the kids!"  Even though Tony's only going to school part-time this semester his schedule is still stuffed to the brim.  In comes Grandma to the rescue!  I called my mom pleading for her to come up and take care of the kids while I stay in Pocatello for court.  Even though my parents had just barely gotten home from a trip to Iowa she traveled over to stay with kids and hold down the fort while I was gone.  Thankfully the kids were on harvest break from school.  So with my worries settled I actually looked forward to my time serving on the jury.  Let me tell you right now that my time away from my family didn't turn out the way I expected.  The first day of proceedings was an interesting novelty.  My first night in the hotel was nice.  I got to watch whatever shows I wanted on TV.  Have the entire bed to myself.  Have the room at whatever temperature I wanted.  Etc.  Well the novelty of all this wore off pretty quick when I kept having dreams of people trying to break into my hotel room.  The next day was more of the same.  Meal times became lonely.  I must say I thoroughly enjoyed not having to cook...and I was able to get my food and eat it in 20 minutes!  It's amazing how quickly meal times go when your not feeding a child, telling another child to stop talking and eat their food (Alaina), or chasing another child around the restaurant.  Though it's weird to sit alone at a restaurant.  Anyway each day began to drag and I was really ready to be done!  Imagine my annoyance on Friday when after 4 days of proceedings I would have to come back on Monday!  Grandma went home on Saturday morning. I really enjoyed my weekend home with the family, but Monday came too soon!  Early Monday morning I left Rexburg for Pocatello and left the kids with my sister-in-law.  After a long day of deliberations.  Like 7 hours being locked in a room with 11 other people arguing your point becomes old really fast.  Imagine my extreme annoyance when I would have to come back the next day for more deliberations!  At this point I seriously wanted to cry and almost did a few times!  This was no longer a slight inconvenience, but a major hardship!  My mom had gone home.  Tony was super stressed out...I mean more than usual.  The kids harvest break was over and were to start school the next day.  How could I possibly rope someone into not only babysitting Charlie all day, but get Carson to school, Alaina to school, and pick them both up!  Thankfully my visiting teaching partner agreed to help us out.  So again early Tuesday morning I left Rexburg for Pocatello for hopefully the last day of deliberations.  Again I spent almost all day in a room with 11 other people arguing.  Well after 5 hours of talking, discussing facts, opinions, going over instructions from the judge and such we were at a 11 to 1 split.  We were a hung jury and could not come to a unanimous decision regarding the case.  Again I wanted to cry!  I was tired of being away from my family.  Constantly worrying about them.  The thought kept going through my mind, "This is never going to end!"  Thankfully the judge excused us and dismissed the case!  I could finally go home!  When I got home I don't think I've ever been so happy to do the mundane chores around the house and the constant driving family members from place to place!  Let me tell you right now that that has worn off very quickly!  But I have learned a really important lesson.  Ladies,  we are the glue that holds our families together.  We may not realize the importance of doing the laundry, the dishes, cooking meals, picking up the house, bathing children, and driving family members from one place to another multiple times a day.  Doing all this and more with little to no thanks can and does get very mundane and I often think "Why?".  It's easy to fall into a pity party thinking of all your mundane responsibilities.  But would I want someone else to be there when my kids come home from school each day?  Would I want someone else to be there to comfort a sick child in the middle of the night?  Would I want someone else to have dinner with my family and hear about their day?  No!  Yes, the life of a stay at home wife and mother of a very busy family is exhausting.  But our role is important and without us and our seemingly minuscule place in our families, our families would fall apart!  Let me say it again ladies, "We are important!  Our roles as mother and wife is important!  For we are the glue that holds it all together!"        

No comments: