Yesterday we celebrated Alaina's 7th birthday! Alaina was a bit disappointed when I told her we probably wouldn't do a party this year. Honestly I just don't think she has a big enough circle of friends yet and our place really isn't conducive to a party setting. I felt bad but have realized that a parent doesn't necessarily have to go all out with the homemade themed banners, costumes, photo booths, and matching themed finger foods to make the day special for their kids. A favorite dinner of their choice, a cake of their choice made special just for them, a few party decorations from the dollar store, and a few presents is really enough to make a birthday special.
This year Alaina asked for an ice cream cake. Which was a bit intimidating. Sure I had done hundreds of ice cream cakes back in the day when I worked at Baskin Robbins. But I certainly don't have the same tools on hand as I did then, After a bit of research on Pinterest I was able to comply to Alaina's specifications of her birthday cake and I have to say that I suddenly remembered the little tricks of working with ice cream. It is very different from your normal frosting cake. She was very excited with the end result and I have to say I was pleased as well.
I don't know about the rest of you parents out there, but it seems that the older our kids get the harder it is to find good gift ideas for them. Every birthday and Christmas it seems as though Tony and I draw a huge blank and walk around the store for an hour or more until we find something. This year we settled on a Disneyland Kinnect video game and a pink controller. Carson has been showing her the ropes with the X-box lately so this seems to be a good change from the usual baby dolls and barbies.
Alaina also got a book and a Doodle pad from Grandma Elton which she has been spending all morning using (she's home sick from school today).
All in all I'd have to say that another successful birthday is down on the books. Happy Birthday our not so little anymore girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment