Growing up I never understood why my Mom really didn't like Mother's Day. Why wouldn't she like a day dedicated to her? When I became a mother myself I understood a little better how she felt. There have been years where "Mother's Day" didn't feel so different from any other day of the year. I would "see" mom's posting on social media about getting breakfast in bed. Homemade gifts from their kids. Elaborate gifts from their husbands. Being waited on hand and foot and not having to lift a single finger all day. Not to say that I didn't get some of those things myself each year on Mother's Day, I did. But many times I would feel a bit of disappointment at the end of the "special" day. This year I decided to take a different approach to Mother's Day. Instead of comparing my family's outpouring of love toward me to other families, I gladly accepted each little show of affection directed toward me. I tried to graciously accept each compliment and mention of mother's personally. I tried to spend my day doing Motherly things maybe even better than I do on a normal day to day basis. I spent my afternoon playing games with my kids instead of busing myself with my own projects or another futile attempt at a nap. Yes, I was still the first one up on a Sunday morning to get myself and my family ready for church. Yes, I still did the dishes. Yes, I still changed dirty diapers. Yes, I still played referee among the kids. Yes, I received sweet hugs and kisses for my family. Yes, I got little homemade gifts from my kids. Yes, I got lots of "I Love You's". Yes, my husband picked me some flowers. Yes, I got a little treat at church. Yes, my family cooked dinner. Yes, my 11 year old son did a sweet family home evening lesson on motherhood. Yes, I got to pick out some flowers for our yard. So I'd say it turned out to be a pretty awesome day and I'm thankful to be a mother and enjoyed the day celebrating my role.
No comments:
Post a Comment